Why won't you call me?


Before the time of cellular phones and caller ID I remember waiting with bated breath for that call. Pouncing everytime the phone rang, pushing mother and siblings out of the way trying to get to the phone first.
Those days were very unproductive, jumping out of showers mid lather, pots and pans unattended as I ran with spatula in hand to get to the phone before anybody else did. Looking back I don't understand why I had to be the one to pick up the call anyway. Silly really. Nowadays you don't have to wait to know who's calling, ones meeting with disappointment is moments sooner because as soon as you have your phone in sight, you know immediately who you are dealing with or in this instance not dealing with. God bless the occasional private and unknown numbers when I'm propelled back to a world of teenage jitters. 

Could it be him? My heart beat would reverberate through my entire body and even when it wasn't it was the sweetest of agonies. *shudders and shakes it off*

In the first episode of Girls an HBO series I can't get enough of, Hannah, played by Lena Dunham who is not only the lead character but the creator, writer, director and executive producer of the show, is relaying her frustrations about Adam, her aloof lover also a part time carpenter and actor to best friend and room mate, Marnie. She is always texting him and never ever gets a response. She and Marnie start talking about the hierarchy of communication. Marnie schools Hannah, saying,

Texting is one of the lowest forms of communication on the totem of chat. You have Facebook at your lowest, before that theres google chat, texting, email and a phone call.

Stating, "Face to face is of course always ideal but its not of this time."

Marnie was onto something, I thought. I considered the year's "hollers". *chuckles* 
"Hollers" makes it sound much more than it really was. So to be more precise, of the 4 hollers this year (much better) I only went on an actual date with just 1 of them and no, inviting me as your plus one to an event does not count as a legitimate date but I digress. So only 1 of the 4 actually got my numbers, called me and took me out for dinner. The others? Well the one took me to an event, which as we've established doesn't count as a date and there was the 2 weeks of almost daily communication most of which was TEXT based. The other two hollered at me via Facebook! 
Now, I think that one could easily relate a guys level of interest in you based on the mode of communication he chooses but not entirely. 
I also think some initial social media contact is necessary and may be the only option an interest has access to but when a guys preferred or most prevalent form of communication is either via text, whats app, google chat, bbm or iMessage then I have to safely concluded that he is really not that into me. 
Guys, pick up the phone. I'm an old fashion kind of girl, a good baritone can throw me into a frenzy! Lord help you if you're working with some of that bass. *fans self dramatically* 
These are all frenzies, mind you, that work in your favour. 
I also think that its really hard to ascertain how truly witty one is via messaging. I like a man who can think quickly on his feet. Messaging gives you time to be "clever" and appear "witty". How do I even know its you responding?! I have, on occasion, responded on behalf of my girlfriends in the past. Yeah, it gets that silly sometimes. 
We'll be giggling, dictating responses word for word, say this, say that, put that emoticon over here and while you're at it throw some ellipses dots in there and let his imagination wander. 
Oh, how I love them ellipses dots … . SEE!!!

While working with limited chemistry however, keep at the messaging for a bit but after a lengthy rapport say texting back and forth for an hour or more in the evening and you can tell a vibe has been established. Pick up the phone, take her by surprise and call her. Throw in a bassy chuckle, followed by the sound of a smile and say hey. 
Know with absolute certainty that despite you dealing with a 30 year old woman she has just screamed into her pillow, thrashed her legs about, took a deep breath and with all she can muster has composed herself so that she can respond in likeness. 
A flirty chuckle, the sound of her smile and with a "heeeeey" so girly that long after she's put down the phone she's still berating herself like what the f•#k was that all about, "heeeeeeeeeey?!?"

Ready to graduate from texting yet?
Call her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment